Monday, October 22, 2012

Mountain Pies - aka - My Country Education

I spent Saturday with a combination of husband's college roommates, their spouses, children, and additional people I have never met before. I love these girls (and their guys), and the Fall Fire on the Ponderosa was a success to say the least.  I tend to enjoy "byo-whatever" parties, and this was no different.  A fire pit, beer, crock pots, and cupcakes was easy for everyone to transport and allowed for minimal clean-up.  The real learning experience came in the format of Mountain Pies.  Apparently I grew up too much in "the city" as at 27 this was my first experience with Mountain Pies. 

Many of you may feel this is an entirely too long explanation, but who knew there were so many variations?! Really, a mountain pie is like a giant grilled cheese that you stuff with toppings and shove in a fire.  Now, doesn't that sound appealing?

First, you need good friends that are guaranteed to laugh at/with you, and help you keep an eye on your Mountain Pie lest it get burnt to a crisp.  Note, I still burnt one, and my mouth, but that is a whole 'nother story.

Second, you need a plethora of toppings/fillings and bread.  We went through 3 or 4 loaves of bread making these just in one night! I know I referenced grilled cheese earlier, but that is exactly how this assembly process works. Butter the outside of the bread, stick in the press, and add toppings.  Pizza-style with pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni was my favorite but Kevin made a smores Mountain Pie with chocolate, marshmallow, and a graham cracker all inside too!

Now, this press device.  I have never seen anything quite like it before but I certainly understand why it is needed.  It smooshes the bread just right, heats it up and gets the outside all crispy while the cheese inside melts to ooey gooey burn your mouth perfection!


That is about all of the education I can provide.  I promise they are easy and fun - also relatively cheap once you or some friends invest in the presses!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, can't wait to hear what you think!