Monday, January 21, 2013

Fighting the Funk...

To put everything out in the open, I have been in quite a downward spiral over the last 2 years.  I don't want anyone to think that I am depressed or anything of that nature, but my general positive outlook on life has taken quite a beating.  In 2 years, I have lost both my grandmothers, Kevin's grandfather, my mother, and had my brother deployed twice.  

Family Picnic, Family Photo, Soldier Family, Family Portrait
Our family before Chris's first deployment to Korea
 I used to think I was a very positive person, and that I was quite resilient.  That belief has certainly changed over the last few years.  While I have done my best to stay positive with regards to my personal life, it is certainly hard to do when I feel as though I can't catch-up.  This past weekend we took a trip north to New York to say goodbye to my little brother as he prepares to be deployed.  Those of you that have dealt with deployment likely have an understanding of the heart break I was feeling.  That heartbreak just 4 months and 2 days after the final goodbye to my mom was almost more than I could bear.  I am so "incredibly beyond words proud" of my little brother, but there are certainly days (like Sunday) where I would rather have him home with me. Christopher is an amazing soldier, and loves the team that he leads, the men that lead him, and his country.  He has grown-up in ways I can't explain in the last 3 1/2 years of service. 

Part of the other blog I started is to keep myself busy, and my mind occupied with things other than sadness.   While focusing on my mom may seem like a sad thing to some, it is an opportunity for me to honor her memory and the lessons she taught me.  I will freely admit to missing her when I sit down to work on the blog or fundraising, but those fleeting moments of sadness are overwhelmed by the pride of being able to call her my mom. 

I am hopeful that mail to the big sandbox will be prompt (ha), and that I will have an opportunity to mail Christopher fun care packages over the next 9 months.  I have big plans for St Patrick's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, and well, every holiday.  There isn't much I can do for him from here but send love-mail, and I am more than happy to do so.  Keep your eyes out for some deployment box posts, as I hope to share some items that do/don't ship well, packing tips, and how to make even the practical items fun.  If I can make time in my schedule, I may also hop on the Baking Gals bandwagon again, mostly as an excuse to bake cookies! 

Easter Box, Deployment Care Package
Easter box while in Korea
 Thanks for listening/reading, and I hope you won't mind that I am asking for all the prayers, good wishes, happy ju-ju (whatever you believe in).  These men need all the help they can get, and from the states, prayers, etc are the best thing we can do.  So, won't you do me a favor and think good thoughts for those soldiers in the big sandbox and all around the world? Today may be MLK Day, but there are thousands of men and women still fighting for our freedoms today.

3 comments:

  1. Keep your chin up hunnie! I'm going to be sending you all my over the top positive vibes, k? Haha and you KNOW they're like bursting at the seams!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold on! Good vibes sent & happy thoughts wished & new friendship offered!

    http://aclosetintellectual.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending out prayers! Thanks for co-hosting the GFC blog hop with us! Happily following you!

    Tif
    Ramblings of a Southern Belle
    http://www.rambling-southern-belle.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, can't wait to hear what you think!