Sunday, June 19, 2011

Week 2 - Bok Choy Stew/Soup

No idea where the recipe originated from, a friend of Kevin's sent it to me.  I didn't take any photos during cooking as I had half the kitchen torn apart (I was looking for my ladel!).  I've made some notes, and they're all in red! 


Beef Stew (Nilaga) Recipe
Estimated Cooking time: 1 to 2 hours - 1 hour and 45 mins, including cutting & slooooow electric stove water boiling. 


Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds beef, cut into 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" cubes - I used beef brisket, cubed and seared
  • 8 potatoes cut the same size as the beef - about half the potatoes, 8 is a lot! 
  • 1 bundle Pechay (Bok choy) cut into 2 pieces - Separate the stem and leaves before cutting, you'll need to add them into the cooking at different times. 
  • 1 small cabbage, quartered - Half a napa cabbage
  • 5 onions, diced - 2 large red onions
  • 1 head garlic, minced - I used a lot, pre-diced, in a jar
  • 4 tablespoons of patis (fish sauce) - this was worth buying, only cost about $2
  • 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
  • 10 corns of black pepper
  • 1 liter of water
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Cooking Instructions:
  1. In a big casserole, heat oil and sauté the garlic and onions. - big soup pot, if you like to stir
  2. Add water, the beef, black pepper and patis. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour or until the beef is tender.
  3. Add the potatoes. Continue to simmer until potatoes are cooked.
  4. Add the cabbage then the pechay. Do not over cook the vegetables. - I cooked the cabbage and boy choy stems for about 10 minutes, then added the leaves of the bok choy and cooked for 5 more mins. 
  5. Salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Serve steaming hot in a bowl with plain white rice.
Successful dinner, and we have about half of this left over.  Kevin's friend Freeman (Recipe Source) made it tonight as well, so he and Kevin are going to compare their products tomorrow and we'll see who wins.  I'm guessing Freeman, but I'd love some feedback! 

<3 J 
(Thank you CSA for making me branch out - I would never have made Filipino Stew for dinner without you). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, can't wait to hear what you think!