Monday, February 18, 2013

"No Mess Cornbread"

I try my best to at least develop a rough "meal plan" for each week based on what we have in the pantry/fridge and what is on sale.  This has a two-fold purpose, similar to why most people meal plan.  First, it saves me a ton of money at the store because I'm not buying completely miscellaneous items.  Second, it forces me to cook even when I am the only one home - it is entirely too easy to just eat cereal for dinner and let Kevin each lunch meat and cheese everyday.

Last week I sent the roommate to the grocery store (with a list), and this "No Mess Cornbread" was one of the items that he brought home with him.  I had only written cornbread and hadn't specified Jiffy, so I guess that was my own fault.  But rather than return it (too much effort), I simply made it as the package instructed.  (These are iPhone late night photos, sorry for the quality or lack thereof)


I did forget to take a picture of the finished cornbread, but I took it out at 15 mins and put shredded cheddar on top and then baked for another 5 mins. After letting it cook for 5 - 10 mins, it fell apart, was very dry, and made a mess all over the dining room table.

I'll classify this not a total failure, but I assure you that Jiffy cornbread muffins with cheddar cheese will remain our chili staple around this house.  Aunt Jemima can stick to pancake mix (although I'm a Bisquick girl anyway). If you really don't want to get a spoon messy and are too lazy to wash a bowl and a muffin tin, then this might be a good fit for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, can't wait to hear what you think!