Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lead the Way

Proud - adj., proud·er, proud·est.
1.Feeling pleasurable satisfaction over an act, possession, quality, or relationship by which one measures one's stature or self-worth: proud of one's child; proud to serve one's country.
 

The Moyer/Bookheimer Family
(July 5, 2010)
I don't feel that the statement "I am proud of Christopher" at all adequately conveys my feelings.  Larger than the devistation, heart ache, tears, and sadness for missing him while he's in Korea is the pride and gratitude for his sacrifice for his country.
 
When Christopher told us he was joining the Army, I was happy for him, but nervous. 
 
When he left for basic training, I was nervous for him, and scared for the unknown.
 
When he left for Korea, I was terrified for him, and heartbroken for those of us here at home.  And about a month after he left, I realized that I was being selfish, and how fair is that?  He is the one putting himself in harms way, sacrificing a year of his life for our country, and I was the one safe at home with my family, crying myself to sleep. 
 
So rather than dwell on the sad, I'm reminding myself to be proud. Not everyone can do the things Christopher can.  Not everyone would have such pride for their country, to leave home, drive a Bradley, and drink rice liquor in a country where you can't find a Yuengling.  Thank you to Christopher (and Jon Giorgio) for protecting us, and thank you to all other soldiers as well. 
 
Half of my heart may be in Korea, and I hope Christopher knows we are proud of him everyday, and think of him always.  This year (actually, 10 months left) can't go fast enough!
 
Lead the Way, Boy Wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, can't wait to hear what you think!